FEX – EDUCATION OF EXPLOSIVE SPECIALISTS IN THE NORDIC COUNTRIES
In the late seventies the Swedish explosives industry was in a situation of alternation of generations. Most of the management with long experience retired and the new had a lot of competence in economy, marketing and management but not so much in the area of handling explosives. 1978 persons responsible for safety in the Explosives industry invited the main actors in the Explosives Sector to a workshop on the area of how to co-operate in The Field of Explosives Safety and how to transfer knowledge and competence from old experienced personnel to new generations.
As a result of the discussions a new training and education concept was formed, the FEX Management education. The concept was developed by a working group with people from the explosives industry and the Inspectorate of Explosives and Flammables. The first FEX course was held in 1980. After some years the course had such a good reputation that people from other Nordic countries (Norway, Finland and Denmark) wanted to participate.
Main purpose of the course is to give the attendants the fundamental knowledge necessary in key objectives in the field of explosives. The course shall also provide possibilities for building up a contact network for exchange of experience in safety matters.
Main objectives in the course are.
- Strengthen awareness about tasks and responsibility
- Gain knowledge of the legislation in the field of Explosives
- Increase knowledge in science of Explosives
- Initiate exchange of professional experiences in the branch
- Increase knowledge of safety principals and codes of good practise
- Gain knowledge of psycho-social environmental issues
- Activate creative processes according new thinking in the field of plant design, organisation development and production planning.
- Maintain continuous work for prevention and control of risk’s
- Initiate training of employees in safe handling of explosives
The course contents the following subjects:
- Managing Risks
- Juridical Responsibility
- Contact with Legal Authorities
- Contact with Media
- Legislation in the fields of Explosives
- Human Factor
- Case Histories of Accidents
- Crisis psychiatric
- Methods of Accident Investigation
- Science of Explosives
- Testing Methods
- Destruction of Ammunition and Explosives
- Static Electricity
- General Safety Principals
- Fire Protection/ Sprinkler Systems
- Demonstration of effects of different explosives in various situations
- Buildings in Explosive Plants
- Risk Identification
- Risk Analysis
- Consequence Analysis
- Risk Estimation
- Study Visits
- Project Studies
FEX is a unique workplace based management training and education concept were the Industry and governmental bodies take active part during the 5 weeks spread out during a year are hosted by industry and research centres in Scandinavia.